Friday, November 5, 2010

Best photos

I took the train home to upstate New York, and the leaves were at their prettiest. I brought my camera with me and went for a really long walk. I think my photo skills are improving a lot, thanks to Jim. For every story we write, we have to turn in three photos- 1) a "scene setter" that gives the viewer a sense of being there, 2) a profile that focuses on an individual and conveys something about their style, character or personality and 3) a detail shot, which is supposed to be some observation from the photographer's unique point of view. The detail shot is my favorite to take, because it requires you to look at the little things around you...


 This is a main shopping street in Poughkeepsie, where I got off the train. My parents and I stopped here on our way home so my mom could buy shoes.
There are wild grapes growing that I never noticed before! They are about 1/2 mile down the road, near Mr. Hober's house. Mr. Hober was an old farmer who lived by himself when we moved into the neighborhood. Even in the late 1990's he never had electricity or running water. He used to give my sisters and I ice cream sandwiches in the summer.
 This wire was wrapped around a tree stump on a path near the end of the road. I love how the leaves fell in and around it.
 The pond across from Mr. Hober's house. (My "scene setter").
 The driveway and part of the barn. Stone walls, like the one in the background of this photo, are all over. I think most of them were built by hand.
 This stack of wood was very near the wire and tree stump. Part of me loves looking at the rings and tried to capture them in this picture. It reminds me of the scent of firewood and the idea that winter is coming and bringing cozy fires. Part of me also remembers my dad chopping wood and getting my sisters and I to stack it. Even though I always wore gloves, I would inevitably get splinters :(
 Beautiful fall wreath I saw in Poughkeepsie. Reminds me of Thanksgiving and all the delicious things about fall!











This is part of a rusty old tractor with leaves falling on it. It is so easy to imagine the tractor aging when the dead leaves are sitting on it. It's as if the leaves fall and bring the rust.

No comments:

Post a Comment